FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Here's what we have been waiting for . Question now is can we?????

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for sending over these messages, we have been overwhelmed by the kind words and stories from people across the world. We will be having a small family funeral this Wednesday, and many of these words have made it into Dad's eulogy... it is a whole other side to him that many of the family were not aware of.

In terms of keeping the website and community alive myself and my mum feel like it is a lovely idea, and a lasting memory to dad. We are complete technical newbies when it comes to web hosting and domains though, and would not want to be involved in the running of such a task. I have his logins for his Nabble account and Yola, where he hosted his websites, but other than that I am at a loss - I am unable to work out how to open up the community to non-subscribers.

Perhaps you could forward this email on to those who have so kindly offered to help keep the website running and may have more technical know-how than us. Hopefully together we can find a way to keep things running.

Kind regards,
Libby

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

That's wonderful of them, and very good news indeed. I'm amazed that they even have the emotional wherewithal so soon after his death to think about these things. Please thank them for me.
ljmonarch ljmonarch

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Please let us know if the course will keep going and how we will access the modules now..
Leslie Monarch

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Good morning Bea,

I will pass on your thanks.

Peggles

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hello,

Everything is up in the air at the moment.

There is much to talk and sort out.

I think you are meaning the writers village teaching course.  I don' see how it would be possible to run this without John.

However if the penpal forum can keep going members can stay in touch .

Peggles

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Peggles, I was referring to this forum in the above post.

In another post a few days ago, I did mention the teaching course, but not in the vein of someone taking it over. Rather I mentioned my concern that his excellent teachings therein not be lost to the world.

Oops, now I see that you probably weren't talking to me there. Sorry!

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

hello bea.
yes I was replying to another member.

I think it is most likely the writers village site will close.Who else could do it?

Unless his past lessons were just posted one after the other by someone. but I really don't see that happening can you?

It is a great loss to aspiring and established writers but at least if we can hang on to penpal something of his will still be out there.

peggles
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hi

Not easy and depending on what records and notes JY kept. After a respectful time perhaps interested parties who are willing could meet up near HQ and then visit JY's office and see what can be extracted from files etc and form a steering commitee to produce a usable format that the family are happy with.

Replication is not possible without the Sage but maybe we can sort something out. I think Peg you could give us all you know as a starter for ten.

Cheers

Paul M

stillmind stillmind

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hi Pat, Peggles,
We all know how important it is to respect John's family at this time and it is heartening to see that the members are all acting with good grace.

I think we all agree that it would be a terrible shame for John's work to simply fade away. At some stage, after the family has had time to come to grips with their loss, maybe a delegate from the forum could approach the family with regards to keeping John's work available.

When I met John he struck me as a man who just wanted to help others achieve their goal of improving their writing. I believe he helped me but I know there is so much more he could have done for us all.

If at some stage there is a meeting, I for one, would be prepared to travel to the UK to offer any help I can.
Sincerely
Phill Howlette
Australia
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Good morning all,

I shall approach the family early next week.

John's funeral  is today and it seems even the weather is crying.

So I feel it's right to hang back for a few days.

I will post again if I have anymore information.

Peggles
Alison Rome Alison Rome

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hello Peggles,

I get the impression from your posts that you knew John and his family well. My thoughts are with them on this sad day, but I also want to send my warmest thoughts to you and to Pat and the others. It is never easy to say goodbye to someone who has made a significant impression in our lives.

John made me feel as if he was my friend and I had never even met him. It must be especially sad and difficult for you all.

I absolutely applaud all your wonderful and determined efforts (done so with sensitivity and tact) to keep John's work going i.e. Story PenPal.

I am not a techy person but if I can be of any help and support in keeping the site up and running please do not hesitate to email personally or message me via the SPP site.

Kindest Regards
Alison
e.thoday e.thoday

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

It is very brave of John's family to keep the Forum running. It will mean a lot of hard work for them and I am sure we will all appreciate their kindness and devotion to duty. Also I think it would have been very much what John would have wanted. I think he was an amazing man who worked very hard. I know that I and I think lots of others saw him as a friend even though most of us had never met him. We shall all miss him. Elizabeth.
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Thanks for the update peggles.

It would be a fitting tribute to John to have the community continue in his memory. Logons to the Nabble account and hosting service will provide nearly everything needed to achieve this. The writer's village domain will likely be hosted, along with SPP, and so I anticipate that website and blog can be kept live along with SPP. The WV lessons are handled by the aweber email service and the logon would be needed to keep that active. These lessons will be copyright protected and held by John's estate and so the family would need to release or license them for further use.

If the family want to continue paying for the hosting service and domain fees - and continue receiving the subscription fees - then all that will be needed is for me, or somewhere else with the techie knowledge, to perform housekeeping/updating duties in order to maintain the websites, domain registrations, email handler etc. I would be happy to do this.

If the family are agreeable to only oversee everything to ensure that John's legacy is appropriately remembered and continues to give assistance to aspiring writers, then I'd be happy to take up the mantle. In this case, depending upon numbers, I envisage the subscription rates can be cut to a level where they only cover costs. I would like to keep the short story contest going, with a small cash prize (paid for out of subscription income) and maybe rename it something along the lines of The John Yeoman Memorial Fiction Contest.

Either way, I'd be happy to meet with the family (or speak with them via a video link) to iron out the exact form they wish for John's work and inspiration to continue in his memory.

I'll leave it to you, peggles, to get back to the family at the appropriate time and let them know that my knowledge and time is available, and that I'm happy to undertake this on a voluntary basis. Of course, if they would like to place the technicalities in someone else's hands, then that's fine also. I'll definitely be a continuing SPP community member.

Let's all remember that this must be a difficult time for John's family.  We need to allow them the time and space that befits their sad loss.

stillmind stillmind

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Well said Alex

I agree with your ideas. I will offer whatever assistance I can to keep the forum going.
Phill Howlette
Australia
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Good morning all,
In response to this post from the emails I have received from John's family.I get the impression that although they are proud that the members wish to keep the site active.
But  have no wish to be involved in the running.
It seems they will hand over all links needed and leave the day to day actives to others.
They are willing to help with transfers and so on.

They may well have a change of heart regarding expenses and their loss of  income but we will just have to wait and see.

I know  this leaves everything up in the air but they need time to sort out their combined wishes.

Peggles
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

If any of us believe in the ever-after, John will see to it that our little group stays together.

Count me in if heaven intervenes.

Rosanna Marie

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Fingers crossed.

Peggles
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

How many subscribers were/are paid up members?

PM

In a message dated 31/07/2016 07:32:52 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Fingers crossed.

Peggles

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/FAMILY-AGREE-TO-KEEP-SITE-RUNNING-tp6393p6431.html
To unsubscribe from FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING, click here.
NAML
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Don't you think his influence whilst alive will be enough?

Let's do him proud.

P L

In a message dated 31/07/2016 00:43:08 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
If any of us believe in the ever-after, John will see to it that our little group stays together.

Count me in if heaven intervenes.

Rosanna Marie

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/FAMILY-AGREE-TO-KEEP-SITE-RUNNING-tp6393p6429.html
To unsubscribe from FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING, click here.
NAML

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hello Pat,

There are 161  registered users but few are active or ever were.

Some left others have  their subs cancelled and are locked out.

The site is very quite now which is a worry. We seem to have a small core left who try to keep penpal alive.

peggles
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

T U P

On the positive side the active few are not a new situation and others are missing the competitions and the weekly posts JY would make.

Why not gently put it to the family that we would like to email all members past and present to see the support it generates. I know a member who has said he would donate a £50 1st prize for the outstanding competition result but he prefers to remain anonymous

Also, might the family be pleased if we rerun JY's blogs to those who sign up and maybe pay their fee
which might be simpler done by Standing Order.

Food for thought.:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. Albert Einstein
Paul M

In a message dated 31/07/2016 12:11:34 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Hello Pat,

There are 161  registered users but few are active or ever were.

Some left others have  their subs cancelled and are locked out.

The site is very quite now which is a worry. We seem to have a small core left who try to keep penpal alive.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/FAMILY-AGREE-TO-KEEP-SITE-RUNNING-tp6393p6442.html
To unsubscribe from FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING, click here.
NAML

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Although there's only a small core now, I think it's very probable that at least some of those who are presently locked out would like to come back. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have small numbers, but I do hope those who are locked and and would like to return, will be able to.

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Hello ,
I shall add these to my list of requests to John's family when they next get in touch.

Peggles

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

I do hope so Bea, the problem is knowing their email to let them know.
If the family do provide a list a joint  invitation could be sent out.

Peggles

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Good idea, Peggles.
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Again, I am interested in keeping SPP alive.

I will contact Elizabeth in Las Vegas and Glendora in Nashville, TN.

Rosanna
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

I am amazed how widespread we are. Great stuff

P L

In a message dated 31/07/2016 18:20:40 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Again, I am interested in keeping SPP alive.

I will contact Elizabeth in Las Vegas and Glendora in Nashville, TN.

Rosanna

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/FAMILY-AGREE-TO-KEEP-SITE-RUNNING-tp6393p6451.html
To unsubscribe from FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING, click here.
NAML

Re: FAMILY AGREE TO KEEP SITE RUNNING

Wonderful

Peggles