Hello from new member

knmargolin knmargolin

Hello from new member

Hello all. I look forward to reading as much of other members' writing as time permits, and, I hope, making constructive comments. I am a 67 year old attorney, scaling back a 41+ year law practice, which should leave more time to write. I live in Newton, MA USA, with my wife, Judy, and have two wonderful grown daughters living on their own. Whenever I am able, I head for the outdoors - mountains, woods, and any beautiful natural place. As for my writing background, it is mostly of the professional variety - articles, monographs, and a book chapter, with one journalistic essay published in Sport Literate magazine. I love short fiction and read as many short stories as I can. Writing something anyone would bother to read, and evoking emotion without being maudlin, let alone writing a memorable story, is no easy task - at least for me. My first published short story appeared early this year in Pif online magazine. I hope to improve my craft, and have a very long way to go. If I can figure out the technology, I'm sure I will enjoy working with all of you.
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Hello from new member

Welcome, Ken! It's great to see you here. You'll find writers of every kind and range of experience. Do be sure to post excerpts from your work in progress. We all look forward to reading, and responding on, your stories.

Re: Hello from new member

A whole-hearted welcome to you, Ken.

I look forward to reading what you write, as well as your other comments. If you'd like to post a link the your published story you mentioned, I'd love to read it. I write short stories too, at least for now.

I recently read the mini-bio of a lawyer turned fiction writer. As she said, a large part of a lawyer's work is writing. As she also said, most of what she wrote as a lawyer was non-fiction...

So I'm sure it's a leap, and I'm sure it's a fun one. I think a legal background must be very useful in writing fiction, giving you lots of interesting ideas for stories. I guess that depends a bit on what your areas of legal expertise are, but I'll bet it applies to any area.
Coach Moe Coach Moe

Re: Hello from new member

Hi Ken,

Welcome to our forum.  I can't wait to read some of your pieces as I am very good friends with retired lawyers, turned authors and their stories are so interesting and well written.  Enjoy your stay here and please do respond to other author's stories as well.

By the way, I've been to Newton, MA and loved the town.  Hugs, Moe
knmargolin knmargolin

Re: Hello from new member

Thanks. I've read and commented on one today, and look forward to reading more. I can see that WV can help steep one in writing and reading. I hope to read some of yours.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Coach Moe [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ken,

Welcome to our forum.  I can't wait to read some of your pieces as I am very good friends with retired lawyers, turned authors and their stories are so interesting and well written.  Enjoy your stay here and please do respond to other author's stories as well.

By the way, I've been to Newton, MA and loved the town.  Hugs, Moe

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Hello-from-new-member-tp4112p4118.html
To unsubscribe from Hello from new member, click here.
NAML

--
Ken Margolin
52 Grove Hill Avenue
Cell:   617-797-1943
knmargolin knmargolin

Re: Hello from new member

Bea,

Thank you for the welcome. I saw your September "Hello" post, and like you, sometimes find that inertia and worrying that every word is not prize-worthy, can stay my pen (still sounds more literary than "stay my keypad"). I will watch for your writing.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Bea [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:
A whole-hearted welcome to you, Ken.

I look forward to reading what you write, as well as your other comments. I write short stories too, at least for now.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Hello-from-new-member-tp4112p4116.html
To unsubscribe from Hello from new member, click here.
NAML

--
Ken Margolin
52 Grove Hill Avenue
Newton, Massachusetts 02460
H:       617-527-3890
W:      617-641-9600, Ext. 11
Cell:   617-797-1943

Re: Hello from new member

Hello knmargolin,

Welcome to pen pal.
I am sure you will find this site active,helpful and a lot of fun.

Peggles
ErnieB ErnieB

Re: Hello from new member

Hi Ken
As another short story writer (my respect for the writers of 50,000+ word novels increases every time I sit down to sweat over my next 5,000 words) I want to welcome you to the group. Not only have I improved my stories after following the advice John gives in his regular newsletters but also have had some wonderful critique advice from the other writers in the group.
You will, without doubt feel welcome with us.
Best wishes
Ernie
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Hello from new member

Well hello

I've been on here for ages and it is great fun. You will find it useful and entertaining in equal measures and good value for your hard earned $'s.

PL
grace grace

Re: Hello from new member

Welcome!  Happy writing to you:)
engemi ferreira engemi ferreira

Re: Hello from new member

Hi there Ken,
You certainly have a well founded base to write from. At least you learnt through fitting much meaning into few words, so you now have some to spare for writing longer sentences. With me it was the other way round. After writing every story I had to go back multiple times to delete words. sentences even paragraphs that are not really necessary to tell the story at its best.

Like you I read a lot ~ that seems to be IMHO the most progressive way we can learn to write well, as John already showed us in his very innovative "HOW TO WRITE" NOVEL. And not only books by the 'masters': I noticed, I nowadays even learn from badly written books, because I am beginning to spot the mistakes in a big way. Of course for oneself you need the strictest editor to be found, haha!

Enjoy your stay here, especially the tutorials ;~)
engemi