Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my... not sure what to call this?

(The title is a spin on the "good ol' days" that grouchy gramps bellyache about. I think this kind of tech is the way to go, Mr Luddite!)

Anyway, hello and my name is Theo. I'm from a small rural town in South Africa and it's currently 35 'C in the shade (that's 95 'F for my US friends)!

I came across this forum--thank God not public. That's what Reddit's for, people!--knowing that the most important facet of my writing career would be feedback. Bad and good.

There's no point wanting to entertain of a massive scale if I just send my work to e-zines and just get a "Thank you, but it's not a good fit for us" or "Unfortunately..."

Sigh.

So. here I am and I'm really looking forward to all the help I can muster and then can give back. The three for every one rule is the way to do it!

Thanks again, and good luck to all your future endeavours. I hope to say that I knew X or Y before they were famous. And if fame is not your goal, well, I hope you enjoy it as much as I would and that any help will be devoured like a bulldog chowing down on milk and cereal!

Cheers for now,
Theo
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Welcome, Theo. I envy you your climate! I'm sitting in central England, as damp as the inside of a dog's nose. Yes, you'll find plenty of fun and feedback here. We all look forward to reading your work.
Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Thanks, John.

Looking forward to all the literary festivities

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hello Theo,

Welcome to penpal.

I am sure you will find it time well spent.

peggles
Coach Moe Coach Moe

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi Theo,

I love your sense of humor.  Welcome to our forum and I do look forward to reading your submissions.  Hugs, Moe
engemi ferreira engemi ferreira

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hallo Theo,
Welkom hier by John se PenPal Storie.
Maak jou self tuis, dit klink my of jy dit sal geniet.
En val spoedig weg met 'n 3000 woorde voorbeeld van jou werk.
Maar voor almal moan, laat ek maar terugkeer na Ingils

Sorry Guys, I just had to make Theo feel at home in this here lounge, so he could start off with an example of his work which we can crit well and good, seeing this is his wish  ;~)

I also wanted to add Theo, we have a timber farm in the Lowveld, where my husband cuts the trees for paper on which I write my stories ~ we add value to one another. We-ell, some times.

Happy writing and don't forget to read the Writer's Resources.

engemi

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi and welcome, Theo. We could have a little one-upsmanship contest on the heat. I live in Rio, and many days the 'real feel' (thermal sensation? You get the drift, right?) is over 110 F (almost 44 C) for hours on end. We don't have a car, and I often am out, getting around to teach classes via bus/foot. I admit I don't miss winter, but I don't think I'll ever get used to that kind of heat.

I'm looking forward to reading some of your work!
Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi Engemi,

Ek hou van jou naam.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Nice one on the timber farm; share some love with the group, heh? I'd love to have a stack of home-made paper to craft stories...

I'll be sure to keep my eye on the Writer's Resource.

Ngiyabonga, and I hope to have the privilege of you critiquing some of my work some day (and vice versa).

Theo
Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi Bea,

Thanks for the warm (no pun intended) welcome!

Ya, we had a heat wave about a week ago where the tar oozed into the gutters. The roadside debris are now mortified and so am I.

I want to go to Rio some day, but I have to wait for my first publisher's cheque before I can do that!

Thanks again and please go ahead on the critique; I have two pieces up already and I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say.

Warm (no pun intended) Regards,
Theo

Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Thanks, Moe!

Likewise on the hugs, but you have to excuse my Dutch-heritage; we tend to hug with our faces away, arms stiff and a smile that make us look like we have an oyster under out tongues.

Regards, and Looking Forward to our Next Conversation,
Theo
Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi Peggles,

I hope so to.

I'm in the 'popular' fiction camp, but I take the work seriously, so every piece of communicado will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Theo
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Now why does that description of Dutch folk (so libelous but true) make me know you're a creative writer, Theo?
Theo Volschenk Theo Volschenk

Re: Hello from the Good Ne' Days!

Hi John,

Write what you know, said Ernest Hemingway, but what I know is boring, said Stephen King, so I thought I'd create a cutaway!

I've only started with creative writing this year, so thank you for the kind words. I know you didn't qualify good or bad, but I take what I can get :)

Thank you for this forum; it's been helpful.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM, John Yeoman [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now why does that description of Dutch folk (so libelous but true) make me know you're a creative writer, Theo?

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Hello-from-the-Good-Ne-Days-tp4550p4890.html
To unsubscribe from Hello from the Good Ne' Days!, click here.
NAML