Help wanted for book research WW2

Does anyone know how I can find out when the last POWs  from WW2 were returned to England.
Also, where the body and mind injured were taken to be treated.

I have trawled the web until I've gone cross-eyed .  There are plenty of sites listing names  of British serving men held captive, but no information as to when  the last returned . Or  what happened to those who could not go home straight away.

peggles
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: Help wanted for book research WW2

This post was updated on .
Hi peggles,

I'm not sure how typical this is but a care facility existed in Chepstow for those injured servicemen who required residential care. A guarantee was made that it would keep operating until it's last resident passed on. The last resident was a US ex-serviceman who was the sole occupant for many years until his death in the late 1990s. Upon his death, the grounds were used to build the new Chepstow Community Hospital and to provide plots for private housing.

These grounds were previously occupied by Mount Pleasant Hospital and St. Lawrence Hospital.

Mount Pleasant Hospital had been built by the Admiralty in 1917 for workers at the National Shipyard in Chepstow, but from 1919 it was used for ex-servicemen more generally, and later for the community as a whole.

St Lawrence Hospital was opened in 1942 and was used initially by the War Department throughout the war as a military hospital, including Italian prisoners of war.

Re: Help wanted for book research WW2

Good afternoon Alex,

Thank you so very much. This is brillent just the kind of information I have been searching for.

I am so greatful.

Peggles