Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

12
_libby_ _libby_

Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear all,

This is John's daughter here. Peggles gave me a link to the forums here and I have been reading the kind words from everyone, and have overwhelmed by everyone's support to keep my Dad's legacy alive in his little corner of the internet. Thank you to everyone.

I can see that there has been much discussion about keeping this forum open, and I thought that I would create a new message to consolidate much of this talk.

As mentioned previously - neither myself nor my mum have any kind of technological know-how when it comes to websites or domains. We don't really know the details of all of Dad's creative endeavours, as he was a man of many ideas! The family are keen to keep this forum open though and it seems like there are people here with the skills and knowledge needed to do so, which is great. If you are one of these technological boffins please do reply and we can discuss what is needed.

The family do not want to be involved in the running or the financials of any project, and we are wary of projects running away with themselves but I know there has been chat on here of keeping other things alive. If anyone has any ideas then please share. I did read someone suggested bringing the work together in a book, which I think is a lovely idea but perhaps one for further down the road.

It is heart-warming to see everyone's messages in this forum, and also those we have received via email and Facebook. I know my Dad would have been touched, and he highly valued so many of the conversations he had with his friends online and in the Writers' Village over the years.

Libby

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Heres what we have been waiting for.
Do respond to Libby's post to start a conversation.

Peggles
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear libby,

What lovely sentiments you've expressed. Many here on the forum regarded John as a friend and it's very kind of you to allow us the opportunity to continue to benefit from his knowledge.

With over 30 years experience in the computer industry, I would be pleased to offer my services to handle all the technical aspects of keeping the forum and website going. I think there's a high probability that I can salvage sign-on passwords and the like to sort out all the issues that need resolving. If you are happy for me to do this, could you suggest how I might contact you directly.

Alex

elizabeth elizabeth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I'm not sure whom should I contact but I would love to see this forum, the web site and his legacy continue.

Dr. Yeoman was kind and supportive, and in all my years of training, I can honestly say that I have never met a teacher like him. No, not at UCLA and not anywhere else. He truly cared for the us. He gave us his love and attention on an individual basis.

To be honest, it took me a quite a few days to recover from the impact, but the sense of loss remains.

I'm glad Alex is willing to help and if I can be of any help, please count on me (I teach structure for writers).

I want to offer my condolences to his daughter (I can hardly imagine her loss. My prayers for strengthen and courage goes for Dr. Yeoman's family we are grateful for your father's legacy and he meant a lot to all of us).

Elizabeth
_libby_ _libby_

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Thanks Alex, I have sent you a private message with my email.
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Thank you for your beautiful posting, Libby. It was from the heart.

As I mentioned before, I was so sad about your father's death. My sincerest condolences.

It would be so wonderful to have this Story Pen Pal site continue. I am very excited about the possibility!!

I am in....if Alex can get things up and running....it would be a blessing amongst sadness.

Thank you again, Libby, and to your family also for being open to this idea.

Rosanna Marie
Frank Frank

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Libby,
My deepest condolences on your father's death. He has left a wonderful legacy of how to harness and develop creativity which will, I hope, be a consolation to his family, and to all who knew him. I had just completed his Village Academy programme, and, literally, in June, signed up for Story PenPal. I would very much like to see the forum continue. Unfortunately, I have no technological expertise.
Kindest regards,
Frank
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello

I would like to echo all the comments made. I have chuckled so much at John's wit and loved our banter over many years seeing who could out play the other on long, never used, words. I concede John.
With regards to the forum I am no technophobe but I am a retired accountant with time to spare. I can make and take emails and regularly post. If any of my skills can help keep this boat afloat please count me in.

Pat Linum AKA Paul Minty.

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Libby, I'm amazed that in this tender moment you've taken the time to address this motley little group's desire to keep things here running, and I thank you. I miss your father as a friend I never met in person, and I can only imagine how you, your mother, and the rest of your family must miss him. You're in my prayers.

I'm very glad you like the idea of a book of your dad's classes. They're truly valuable. Even the posts over at his blog are worth keeping in a lasting way, in my opinion. Speaking of that, there are probably many who are wondering why there are no more regular Friday posts there. (Not everyone who commented there is a member here; plus I imagine there must be many who read but perhaps did not post.) If you'd like, I could put a comment there sharing the sad news.

I'm a moderator of sorts here, as your dad asked me to be quite some time after the site began. I'd be happy to continue as such. Even if not, I'll continue to visit, post, and comment. Please let me know. And if there is some other way I can help, please also let me know.

elizabeth elizabeth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Libby, I can't imagine your loss and my heart goes out to you and your family, and my prayers as well.

We love Dr. Yeoman and we were loved back by him. He was the best teacher on the subject of writing and an unexaustable source of inspiration for all of us.
We know your father was a Christian and probably you are a Christian too and this is our consolation, that Christ will rise your father from the dead and your family will be reunited with him again.

One can tell that your father's blood runs through your veins, that in such a moment you would consider the life of the students that so loved Dr. Yeoman is so much like him.

If we have a chance to keep the site--and we already have some volunteers doing their job--collections would need to be made to keep the site on the net and possibly a few professionals, may be one or two, to keep the site responsive. While volunteers are necessary, accountability is also necessary for a  smooth sailing through  situations that may present itself in the course of running an internet site as active as this one. I truly don't know how much work this will encompass.

God bless,
Elizabeth
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I just learned of John's death a few moments ago and I am devastated.  Like so many others, i felt he was a personal friend.  I learned a lot from him, and felt much encouraged by his attention to my work.  He was a wonderful man.  I am SO sorry for the family.  You are so kind to keep us in mind while going through a terribly difficult time.

I have not participated with this community of writers, and I would like very much to start doing so now.

Thank you to Alex and all others who want the community to continue.

Again, all my thoughts are with the family.

Blessings,
Diana Holdsworth
DianaH
stillmind stillmind

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Libby,
I met John in Aylesbury last August at his local watering hole and your Dad made feel like we were old friends meeting up for a friendly chat. He was, as we used to say, "a scholar and a gentleman." I am originally from London and I laughed when he told me he was the original Buckinghamshire Yeoman!!

Your Dad empowered me to complete a short story which is now on Amazon.com. I would never have finished this without his help and for that I am forever grateful.
I, and I am sure, many other members of the forum,really appreciate your consideration, time and interest in helping us keep 'Story Pen-Pal' going.

I do hope that as his memory carries on you can take some comfort in the legacy he leaves with us, for we surely will.

Thank you.
Phill Howlette
Australia
stillmind@bigpond.com

Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Bea, I like the idea of creating a book of John's wicked writing wisdom, as well as paying to keep the site going.  Count me in.
DianaH
_libby_ _libby_

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's responses. I have been working with Alex Rosel to understand all the details of the Writers' Village and SPP communities (big thanks to him for a lot of effort on his part).

It seems that without John to drive the content and keep up the interaction it is not feasible to carry on the Writers' Village Academy and Wicked Blog. We have had interest in people wanting to purchase parts of the business, but these endeavors would not be the same without John's wit and sparkle. As a family we don't feel it would be right for anyone else to continue this work.

That said, I know how important this community was to John, and is to yourselves, and I would very much like this forum to continue. Whilst no one in the family has the knowledge or time to commit to this, perhaps a steering committee could be formed out of interested members here to make sure things keep running. They could decide on how the forum is run, Flash Fiction contests and any required small subscription payment to keep things going. We are happy to let you run things as you see fit. Peggles, I know you have been instrumental in trying to keep things going - could I leave this with you to lead?

The Nabble forum should remain online indefinitely (it does not require a fee for the basic package), and content of the website and the blog posts will remain online until the domain renewal expires (end of the year I believe).

There is still the idea however that content can be compiled into a book at a later date, so as not to lose all this work, and still allow people access to it. This will be more of a long-term endeavor, as we are still uncovering more notes and writings in John's office.

I hope this is a bit of good news, please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Libby
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Libby

As you may know Peg Rob and I have been exploring the possibility of replicating in some small way your father's work on Pen Pal.

One of the main sticking points at the moment is the bank of email addresses. These are required to kick start anything. Can you help?

If you go to 'story-pen-pal.com you will see the effort so far. Also http://story-pen-pal.2356831.n4.nabble.com/ to see the experiments so far. If the family are not in favour of these endeavors I will close it down.

Kind regards

Paul Minty aka Pat Linum.

In a message dated 23/08/2016 14:08:21 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6640.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear Libby,

~~~ I think of John every day.  And I think of you, his courageous and kindly family.  I wish you well from the bottom of my heart.~~~

Thank you these good ideas:
---Keep the forum going under a committee.
---At some point, collect John’s wit and wisdom into a book, (which I, and no doubt others, had suggested).

A THOUGHT:   Is there a chance the content of website and blog posts with its knowledge, postings of winners, (like me) could remain up so we can access the information?   Those of us who will contribute to keep the Nabble forum up might do the same for the website, including renew domain name, etc., if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I’m fairly hopeless at computer stuff.  But I would love to help out how I can.  So please, those in the lead, keep me on the helper list.

Best to you and all from the East Coast of America,
Diana Holdsworth

[hidden email]
www.DianaHoldsworth.com
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DiHoldsworth

On Aug 23, 2016, at 9:08 AM, _libby_ [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

DianaH
_libby_ _libby_

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Pat,

I'm not really able to share email addresses (I have little knowledge on the subject but common sense tells me there will be data protection issues with doing so). I have emailed everyone on the email list for all of John's creative endeavors though with a link to this forum, so hopefully this should generate some new interest here.

I've been having issues accessing this site, something to do with Nabble's server, so I hope that this isn't a recurring problem. I fully support what ever you deem best in terms of the forum, whether you want to carry on here or create a new forum of your own.

Let me know if I can help any more,

Best wishes,
Libby
wstwd wstwd

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi -

New member just joined having heard the sad news about John from Libby's email today.

I'm not hugely comfortable with forums, but I may be able to contribute something on the email addresses issue: there's no real data protection problem. The collected data was initially gathered to enable people to use the forum. The 'new' use would be to continue to enable people to use the forum. And the transfer of the data would be necessary for the continued performance of the contract between the forum administrators and their subscribers. In short: it would be OK under the Data Protection Act 1998.

(I'm afraid this is one of the areas about which I gathered some knowledge in the 20 years I practised law.)

Hope this may be helpful/useful.

Jonathan

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Brillent thank you

Welcome wstwd

Peggles
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

me no comprende

pm

In a message dated 24/08/2016 21:07:15 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Brillent thank you

Welcome wstwd

Peggles

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6648.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

HI Libby

Thankyou for this email, I am envisioning a smaller and compact version of John's site and have much to do to finish it although it is open, story-pen-pal.com and   http://story-pen-pal.2356831.n4.nabble.com/
Maybe you could email all on your list and invite them to email me on [hidden email] for further information. Data Protection would not be an issue with that.

Kind regards

Paul M (aka Par Linum)

In a message dated 24/08/2016 16:25:46 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Hi Pat,

I'm not really able to share email addresses (I have little knowledge on the subject but common sense tells me there will be data protection issues with doing so). I have emailed everyone on the email list for all of John's creative endeavors though with a link to this forum, so hopefully this should generate some new interest here.

I've been having issues accessing this site, something to do with Nabble's server, so I hope that this isn't a recurring problem. I fully support what ever you deem best in terms of the forum, whether you want to carry on here or create a new forum of your own.

Let me know if I can help any more,

Best wishes,
Libby

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6646.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
_libby_ _libby_

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Paul,

The new site sounds like a sensible idea, especially when this one is experiencing so many server issues at the moment. It seems to have improved for me today... maybe it's fixed?!

I don't have a list of the people who had subscribed to the SPP forum - I think the best way to get that is to click the tab named 'People' on the forum front page. John's subscription to the website used for bulk emails has now expired so I cannot get onto that or use it to send any more emails.

Let me know if I can be any more help

Libby
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I have a great deal to say about my loss and all of yours.  I loved Doctor John's witty and prompt feedback, and I marveled at his ability to give each of his messages personal and sincere content.

Our loss of Doctor John coincided almost exactly with my own personal loss of my father-in-law, Flight Officer Norman Armbrust, who flew a B-17 out of Thurleigh eleven times and returned only ten times.  His plane was shot down by flak over Hanover, and he was a guest at Stalag III for two years.  He died earlier this month at the age of almost 97, tougher than nails because of all he had survived.

Thank you for allowing me to participate.
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello

This was indeed a moving and simple tribute to two gentlemen. August has some bitter sweet memories for our family as well. I can say though that after a while you can look back and smile at memories. I can still hear my late father in law referring to our little King Charles as a funniosity. (A Somerset term)

Thankyou for that. A smile on my face to start the day.

JY-one of a kind.

Pat Linum

In a message dated 01/09/2016 05:21:40 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
I have a great deal to say about my loss and all of yours.  I loved Doctor John's witty and prompt feedback, and I marveled at his ability to give each of his messages personal and sincere content.

Our loss of Doctor John coincided almost exactly with my own personal loss of my father-in-law, Flight Officer Norman Armbrust, who flew a B-17 out of Thurleigh eleven times and returned only ten times.  His plane was shot down by flak over Hanover, and he was a guest at Stalag III for two years.  He died earlier this month at the age of almost 97, tougher than nails because of all he had survived.

Thank you for allowing me to participate.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6662.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Many Moose. And I too deeply feel the loss of our online mentor and friend, John Yeoman.

But it's good to see you here, Many Moose. I often saw you at John's blog. We had a lot of fun over there, didn't we?
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Thank you, Pat.

Your quip (King Charles as a funniosity) brought back a fond memory of one of the last exchanges I had with Doctor John.  He made the point that it was OK to invent new words, so I related my own daughter's invention:

Daughter: "Oh, ugh.  Such a grossiosity."  (referring to some objectionable observation.)

Teacher:  "Heather, there is no such word as 'grossiosity'."

Daughter: "Oh yes there is!  My mother uses it all the time!"   (true)

I have a sneaking suspicion that you saw this exchange, else your observation was a coincidenciosity indeed.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6663.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

ManyMoose,

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law's death. He was quite a hero, was he not?  And part of the greatest generation. They are getting fewer and fewer.

I haven't been on the site or communicating much because life has gotten in the way.  But I will be back.

I am still interested in being on SPP.

Nice to meet you, ManyMoose.

Rosanna
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Message for Pat:

I have not forgotten about you or your story.  My hubby is now reading it.

I have an idea for you.

Later,
Rosanna
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I hope to keep up this dialog legacy that Doctor John started.

I'll be here, but my responses may be delayed because, as you say, life gets in the way.

Nice to meet you as well, Rosanna.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6668.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

ljmonarch ljmonarch

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Is it possible to post a list of the lesson links so we can finish reading the lessons. It won't be the same without John's wonderful feedback but I only got through lesson 9 and I don't know how many more I missed. I know when I first started the course I received a list of the lessons I might of missed up to lesson 9.

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Many Moose, as I said above, it's really good to see you here. When you have time, I'd love to hear what's happening with your book.
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

ljmonarch, I think it's best if you email John's daughter, Libby, with this request. JY's work is copyright protected. Any posting of links here might infringe that copyright.

You can email Libby by clicking on her name, underlined and blue highlighted, at the start of this thread. When you get to her profile webpage, use the Send Email to _libby link.
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Yes, Bea.  I'd be proud to relate how my historical novel "Bloody Mountain" is coming along.  Actually, I'm in the final stages of getting ready to publish, which I plan to do with CreateSpace on advice of several of my contacts.  I have to make maps depicting the 1500 mile long stage and see if it's worth the trouble to include photos.

I have to confess that I'm unable to take a break from my other responsibilities right now. I'm excited about put the thing to press, and think about it every day.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6672.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I wish you the very best with it, Many Moose. You've put so much of yourself, your time, and your energy into it, that I'm sure you'll get past these obstacles and get it published.

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello,
 sorry I'v taken so long to reply. been on holiday.
I have all the copies of John's lessons and wondered if I could post them on to others. But I am sure they are copywrite.As suggested get first in touch with Libby and see what she feels..
Its a great shame you could not complete this fine helpful course.

peggles
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Peggles,
I’ve been out of touch.  Are people still involved in John’s website?  Is the group still together?
I often think of your father.  He meant so much to me.  I still can’t believe he’s gone.  I hope you are all hanging in there.

Best Regards
Diana Holdsworth
USA

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6677.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello Diana,

It's lovely to hear from you again.
The site faded away it's such a shame.
We did try to start another but that also came to nothing .

There are still a couple of members who still keep in touch through our personal email address . Paul and myself just finished a book together and are now sending it out.
It is a not for profit book called My Slow Decent into Hell   you may have seen parts of it on his penpal pal If you would like to please stay in contact.

Best regards

peggles
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear Peggles,

I’d love to stay in touch.   And I wish you the best of luck with your new book.  Great title.

I’m so sorry that the site is down, though I can understand why you’ve taken it off.

I’m working on two projects;  one a memoir and another the Victorian noir.

Is this your personal email address?  My connection with the site was strictly with John, winning a few of his contests, asking him questions, reading and doing light edits of his books.  I never got involved in the group activity, although at this point, I’m sorry I didn’t.  I would no doubt have learned a lot and made some good online friends.

Please do keep in touch with me, too.  I’d love to keep that connection to John and see how you all are faring with your writing projects.

All the very best,

Diana

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6700.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Here it is

Best wishes with your work

Peggy

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:24, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6701.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear Peggy,

I can’t open the hidden email.  Is it the [via Story PenPal] one, or have you another?

Diana

BTW, is there any interest among the small group of folk who stay in touch with you to create our own little work-sharing exchange? People might share bits and pieces of their work with others for feedback.  One reason I didn’t join the big group was because I couldn’t figure out the formatting of the site.  Not exactly a pro at this stuff myself.  Your Dad was a genius at so many things.

On Jan 12, 2017, at 1:36 PM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Here it is

Best wishes with your work

Peggy

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:24, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6702&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2017, at 11:58 AM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6701&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6702.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello again,

I have just sent my email address but it might have gone for a gander off some where .

BTW John wasn't my father just a very dear friend and mentor.

I shall put your suggestion out sounds like a fun way of keeping in touch.
Peggy

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:43, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6703.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Darn, Peggy, I still can’t open [hidden email].  Perhaps it doesn’t like my computer.

Glad you had John as a dear friend and mentor.  He was that to me, too, but sounds as if you had a very close relationship over time.
Gad, I still miss that man. I wish I’d had the courage to get over my shyness and go up and visit him when I was last in England, three years ago.

Thanks for putting my suggestion out to the group.  We could call ourselves The Yeomans.  BTW, was that his real name?  If not, a wonderful pen name, so very English, so very John.

Di

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:43, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://18/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6704&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Peggy,

I can’t open the hidden email.  Is it the [via Story PenPal] one, or have you another?

Diana

BTW, is there any interest among the small group of folk who stay in touch with you to create our own little work-sharing exchange? People might share bits and pieces of their work with others for feedback.  One reason I didn’t join the big group was because I couldn’t figure out the formatting of the site.  Not exactly a pro at this stuff myself.  Your Dad was a genius at so many things.

On Jan 12, 2017, at 1:36 PM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://18/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6703&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

Here it is

Best wishes with your work

Peggy

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:24, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<a href="<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=6702&amp;amp;i=1" class="">x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6702&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2017, at 11:58 AM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <<a href="<a href="x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=6701&amp;amp;i=0" class="">x-msg://15/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6701&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6704.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH
stillmind stillmind

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Di, Hi peggles

I have been away in Victoria for the Xmas-New Year break.

I have been quite busy with writing the last few months, short stories, 500 words a day (most days) on my novel and now taken to writing book reviews. All good practice.

Di, I did go and meet John in Aylesbury when I was over there. He was such a gentleman. I'm sure his real name is something other than Yeoman as we discussed and laughed about the fact he lived in Buckinghamshire and there many old stories there about the 'Bucks Yeomen'.

I have tried to keep in touch with the group but without John's guidance (and no offence to peggles and the others still involved) it's just not the same.

My anthology is still coming along with only a few more stories to edited and hopefully it will be ready sometime this century!

Please stay in touch as I believe it is a great to keep John's memory alive. I can  feel his presence when I write you and read your letters and stories.
Best Wishes
Phill.H
stillmind
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I too am interested in keeping in touch with all Doctor John's students.  Would a Facebook page be easier to administer?  I don't know; just asking.  Maybe there already is one.

ManyMoose

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6706.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear ManyMoose, Peggy and Phil H.

Thanks for your replies.  I hope this reaches all of you via Story PenPal, etc., which I never learned to use.  I’m assuming this gets posted properly so you can all see it.  And that Phil gets his via Stillmind.

I agree that having a FaceBook page where those of us who are interested can easily meet up and share would be a good thing to have.

FaceBook is easy to manage.  I belong to several such groups.

Never started one myself.   If anyone else knows how to set that up, let me know.  If not, I can ask around.  We could call ourselves “The Yeoman Writing Group,” or something like that, which honors John while indicating what we are (writers).   FaceBook gets antsy about what you call your page.  A French friend from my Korat Cat Group on FB got his site taken down with no prior warning (!) because he called his page by the name of his cattery (I forget what it was, some cute name, which seemed innocuous to us, I mean we weren’t afraid of his being an ISIL sleeper), and he was told if he wanted his site back, he had to use his own name as the heading.  We all became annoyed on his behalf.  As soon as he finished cursing in French (he’s good at that) and gave FB his real name as the header, they put his page back up.  So if we want our own page, we’d have to think of something to call it that would not set off alarms.

Phil, I envy you for having met John in person.  He invited me to stop by for a beer when in the area, but this was after Shy Di had her last trip to England (three years ago), and sadly, I did not take advantage of his invitation and then it was too late.  It has reminded me to jump on ideas and invitations NOW.  Time waits for no man, nor woman neither.

Luck and fortune to everyone and their work.  Let’s keep the rollerball rolling.

Diana, aka Di

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM, stillmind [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6707&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6707.html

DianaH
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

DianaH
ManyMoose ManyMoose

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I started one Facebook page for a volunteer group that I belong to.  It's not difficult.  I would be willing to do it if somebody else would ride herd on it to keep undesirable posts and such off.  I think I can make a closed group page, which I presume is what we want.  However, I don't know how to transfer ownership of the page to another member.  I'll try to find out.

I would have to get permission to use Doctor John's picture and whatever logos we agree on.  Also, ground rules, etc.  I want to make sure everyone agrees.

Like most of us, I feel very emotional about losing Doctor John.  He was SO responsive to everyone, and I felt a keen kinship with him despite the vast difference between our locations and life stories.  We shared photos of our backyard cabins, something that in my case was a life-long dream.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6709.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Great.  Thanks for getting this ball rolling.  I think having a closed group is best.  If someone wants to join, as with our Korat Group, a request is made of the members, and they pass on the person.  At least one person should know the requester.  I think this could be easily set up.

Di

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6710&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM, stillmind [via Story PenPal] <<a href="<a href="x-msg://5/user/" class="">x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6707&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6710.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Help. I am inundated with emails. I would love to keep in touch with a band of writers (collective noun woship of writers??)

Paul M

<A title=http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6704&amp;i=0 href="mip://0c9d2760/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6704&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]

On 12 Jan 2017, at 18:43, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<A title=http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6704&amp;i=1 href="mip://0c9d2760/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6704&amp;i=1" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2017, at 1:36 PM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <<A title=http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6703&amp;i=0 href="mip://0c9d2760/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6703&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

NAML

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Good morning Phill,
No offence taken. No one could hope to match John's wit,charm and knowledge of writing.
I worked with him for many years and  enjoyed doing beta reads of his work. We worked on creating  penpall when the acamady forum faded away and later on StoryMage this only got to twelve post before he became to ill to keep going.
With his how to and children's books he was a one off.
I will be interested to see if a face book page may keep old members in touch.

Peggles
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi everyone,

I'd love to have John's handsome photo, the one with the hat, as the cover photo of the FB page.  All members of the Academy welcome to join in right away. If someone is interested who was not a former member, that's when the closed group would want to pass on the new person.

I understand how difficult it is to keep enthusiasm going without John there to guide us.  But keeping his memory alive and keeping up with each other's work, how things are going, successes shared, groans heard, questions about research and other opportunities to help each other along, might be quite useful.  The page doesn't have to be furiously active if folks are busy for awhile. I belong to other on line writer groups, and when people post a query or concern , about all sorts of things including which publishers are best, where to find a good editor, a language translator, others jump in.  In addition, folks might ask to post a few pages or short chapter for feedback.   I'd love to give it a try, certainly.

Peggy, did you know John's family?   I've wanted to send them a condolence card.  But perhaps they prefer to remain private.

Diana

Sent from my iPhone

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6713.html
DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello Diana,

John never gave his real name on any of his active site so I guess he wanted to keep his details private.

Regards

peggles

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Jan 2017, at 14:02, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6714.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Thanks, Peggles.  That’s what I’d assumed.  Wise of him considering the world-wide audience.

Best,
Diana

On 14 Jan 2017, at 14:02, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6715&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 14, 2017, at 3:00 AM, peggles [via Story PenPal] <<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6714&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6715.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

DianaH
elizabeth elizabeth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

I am at loss here.

Do I have to do anything to continue to be a member? Who is writing? It says John's daughter, but then it says  that the person assumes he wants to keep his name private (I don't blame him).

Anyhow, please let me know what  I should do and if all possible, please send me a link
Thanks
Elizabeth
> [...]

> > To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here <
> > NAML <
http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> -----
> DianaH
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Dear Elizabeth

We are thinking of starting a Facebook page so all of John's people can stay in touch, help each other re writing, and so on.

Just let Peggles know you are interested in joining the FB page, once we have it started.  It will be a simple closed group page as I understand it.  One of us is good at setting that up.

 I hope you join us for what I hope is the "new" FB page devoted to keeping John's memory plus keeping us all connected.

Peggles is not John's daughter.  She is, like me, but closer, was a friend and beta reader who benefitted from John's mentorship.

All best

Diana
Usa

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2017, at 3:27 PM, elizabeth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> > http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6715.html <http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6715.html>
> > To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here <
> > NAML <
http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

NAML
DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello Diana,

It would be better if the person who intends to open the face book page posted a link  for interested members to connect with her/him.

I am too involved to take on anymore organising  with my own writing of three novels,other beta reads and co-writing tasks.

I hope the members find the contacts they need and wish you luck with your writers support page.

Peggles

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Jan 2017, at 23:08, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> > http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6715.html <http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6715.html>
> > To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here <
> > NAML <
http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

NAML
DianaH

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6719.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Peggles, et al.

Thanks for letting us know that you are too busy to be involved with the FB page devoted to keeping John's memory alive.

I have the feeling this will not actually happen because, as others have said, John was the driving force behind it all.

However, If anyone is interested in putting the page up, I'd love to join but do not have the resources to organize the effort, nor do I have the time given my own projects.  I have merely made some suggestions.

Best to all,
Diana

Sent from my iPhone

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6720.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML
DianaH

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

As you say Diana we all have very busy lives.

However for me John will always live through his many books,teaching and personal emails sent over the years.

Someone may well pick up on your suggestions . I will wait to see if that happened

peggles

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2017, at 13:26, Diana Holdsworth [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> -----
> DianaH
NAML
DianaH

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6719.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6720.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6721.html
To unsubscribe from Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter, click here.
NAML

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hello Diana ,

Paul has our book on Smashwords and Kindle so fingers crossed it makes a few sales.

Best regards

Peggles
Diana Holdsworth Diana Holdsworth

Re: Keeping John's legacy alive - from John's daughter

Hi Peggles:   which book would that be?

At any rate, good news!

Good to hear from you, and all the best to you!

Diana

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Keeping-John-s-legacy-alive-from-John-s-daughter-tp6478p6723.html