Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

John Yeoman John Yeoman

Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

This post was updated on .
If you have a long work in excess of 500 words that you'd like feedback on, maybe even an entire novel, that's almost ready to submit to agents or publishers why not advertise that fact in the Writers Lounge below?

Use a headline like 'Beta readers [or reviewers] wanted for my novel/story [title]'. Invite people to contact you privately via the email facility here. (They just have to click on your user name then 'Send email to'.) Ask them to include their email address in the body of their email to you so you can reply to them directly then subsequently send your work as an attachment.

Do NOT post their work or your feedback in the public forum, except with the author's agreement.

Of course, Story PenPal accepts no liability for the feedback or reviews you might get
Gaylynne Gaylynne

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

I'd had that same thought... A little ways off yet though.
Although - what thoughts on beta-reading in blocks - a part within a three part novel for example?
There would be a lot of limitations in terms of what could be commented on, but in terms of getting feedback on WIP would it be worthwhile?
After all - if my beta-reader struggles to get through part 1 - I seriously need to rethink things!

Look forward to hearing other peoples views

Gaylynne

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

I will be following this post with interest.
Some other sites and private persons on the web offer this.
A few charge others not.
How much information of novel would be required. If first chapters do not show much  a sample opening would not do.
For example I have a novel which is strictly an adults only read and some may be offended by its content.
I would love to help another author be a second pair of eyes when I could .But there are genres which would be beyond me.

Peggles
Gaylynne Gaylynne

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Yes, I agree.
What appeals about this, as against some of the other options - paid or otherwise - is that we are part of this small but growing and select () on-line community...

There are genres I don't think I'd be much good for, but then maybe there are advantages to going outside your comfort zone too...

I'm very interested to see what the general feeling is about this. I'm certainly not going to claim to be an experienced beta-reader, but as a means of getting feedback to knock a piece into better shape before shelling out valuable $$$, I could probably be of help - I hope!

Let's hear your thoughts people
Gaylynne
stillmind stillmind

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

A great idea John, but just a thought about copyright.

 Do you know of a simple and polite way to remind everyone about copyright issues when sending stories and or novels to group members for private feedback? I would hate the thought of someones hard work being plagiarised.

I am sure that would not happen here in the august assembly but I feel a reminder about the pitfalls of copyright could be in order.

(Oh dear, I have read this again and it sounds terrible - but I'm sure you get my drift John)

Phill.H
Australia
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

This post was updated on .
I don't think we need to get paranoid about copyright, Phil. It's the first fear of an unpublished author but it's usually groundless. Anybody who is competent enough to get a story lucratively into publication hardly needs to steal anyone else's ideas! The problem is also faced every time that someone reads their work aloud to a writing group. In a private group like ours, the problem should be negligible.

However, it would indeed be a good idea to remind your beta-readers politely: 'Of course, this work is my own copyright and I would be grateful if you didn't share or use it in any way except to give me feedback between ourselves. ' Etc.

As I've said before, you own the copyright of everything you write the moment you write it. There's no need for formal protection. (Stamping '© Copyright [Jane Doe]' on a work when you submit it to an agent or judge is counter-productive. Only amateurs do that.) But if you're worried that your work might have been plagiarized, take a unique snippet from it and do a Google search. (That's what universities do if they're suspicious that a student has plagiarized something. They also have a stronger program - TurnItIn - which detects plagiarism from sources that are not publicly on-line.) A search may show you whether your work has been published on-line elsewhere without your permission.
stillmind stillmind

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Thank you John
It is always a good feeling to know we are in good company. Thanks for the advice.
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)
tpa45 tpa45

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

I  like this benefit because I feel writing a lengthy text within a  span of only 400 words may lose some of the reviewers who may have lose what have been written along the way. tpa45 thanks
Hannah Hannah

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

I'm up for being a beta reader and happy to do mystery, historical fiction or potentially some sci fi or fantasy. One word of warning though, I read carefully but I'm not super quick.

I'll probably be looking for beta readers towards the end of this year as I am honing my first novel at the moment. It's a mystery/coming-of-age novel, so if anyone thinks they'll have some free time around October or November and fancies it, I'd be grateful if you could let me know - just email me using the facility on this website.

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Good morning John,
I have some pasages in my novel that are a bit ripe.
I would like to have feedback on these. However I don't want to offend other members. What is the best way to post.  Bad language.Child abuse.Rape. Abortion. Sexual acts and so on. Or  should  this be requested first and wait for willing members.

Peggles
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Why not post that query in a separate post, peggles, and gain people's views? My suspicion is that nobody here would be offended by adult content. Are we not all adults? And if you prefixed your passage in the Critiques sub-forum with a disclaimer - Warning: adult content - few could have cause to complain.
J.J. Evangelista J.J. Evangelista

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

That sounds fine to me, Joshua. But don't post all the book here, of course. Explicitly invite some fellow members to agree to look at it, and ask them to email you privately through the forum. (To send a private email, click on their name, once they've identified themselves, and you'll see a 'Send email' option.)
J.J. Evangelista J.J. Evangelista

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Barry Wemple Barry Wemple

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

John,

I'd be willing to be a beta reader for historical novels and romances.  I've tried my hand at a couple and am in the process of creating more short stories, although when they will appear is anybody's guess.

I can't be bound by timelines, owing to current works, but would certainly be diligent and hopefully thoughtful in any review.

Barry,
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

That's an excellent offer, Barry. Many thanks! I'm sure that several members will be consulting you
Daisy21 Daisy21

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hi there!

I would greatly appreciate 'beta readers' and/or reviewers for the novel I am currently writing.

I am also happy to be one for anyone else's work. I write using different genres but my area of expertise is Romance and Fantasy.

Daisy :)
lujira lujira

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

I agree beta readers who don't read your genre probably will not help much. however, having said that word choices, verbs and tenses one might get help with. Just read HOW DID THE AUTHOR DO THAT by John Yeoman and though I don't usually read historical fiction I found the book riveting of course having him explain why he did certain things helped. It's a choice.

Lujira J. Cooper
ErnieB ErnieB

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

A huge Thank You to "stillmind" for agreeing to be a beta writer for my short story, "The Changing Room" I appreciate your support.
Darlien Darlien

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hi, I'm looking for beta readers for my 350 page novel. It has a little of everything, mystery, murder romance and a touch of science fiction. The novel is finished and is currently being professionally edited.

stillmind stillmind

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hi Darlien
I would be interested in Beta reading for you.

I am currently halfway through writing the first draft of a 350 page novel.

Cheers
Phill.H
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Darlien, are you looking for readers to read after the professional edit is completed?
michelle moore michelle moore

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hi Peggles

Michelle Moore here again! I have a novel 80,000 words which I would love to have critiqued if you'd like to swap stories please? If you wish to, I can send you the synopsis to see if it's your cup of tea and we could go from there? I'm eager to see what is working (if anything) and what isn't? If it slows down too much, is too soppy, has too many exclamation marks or is lacking in something! The harsher the critique the better to improve my story?

Please let me know how you feel?

Kind regards,

Michelle.
michelle moore michelle moore

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hello, my name is Michelle Moore and I'm looking for a betta reader to critique my novel. (It's 85,000 words). If you're still interested in taking a look at a novel, please let me know?

Many thanks,

M.

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hello Michelle,
always happy to help.
However I should tell you I never comment on grammar or punctuation as I am rubbish at it. I will read each and every word.
I can say if I like the story. Did it make me sigh with pleasure or think ( no way) . If I felt it has pace and credibility. Take note of any parts that seem out of place.
If this kind of read is of any use to you then do send it over.

peggles
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Shouldn't you have sent that to peggles, Michelle? Or did you do that? *;) winking

Kind regards
John Yeoman

On Friday, 1 July 2016, 18:08, michelle moore [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Peggles

Michelle Moore here again! I have a novel 80,000 words which I would love to have critiqued if you'd like to swap stories please? If you wish to, I can send you the synopsis to see if it's your cup of tea and we could go from there? I'm eager to see what is working (if anything) and what isn't? If it slows down too much, is too soppy, has too many exclamation marks or is lacking in something! The harsher the critique the better to improve my story?

Please let me know how you feel?

Kind regards,

Michelle.

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Need-beta-readers-or-reviewers-for-your-story-or-novel-tp898p5966.html
To unsubscribe from Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?, click here.
NAML

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

This post was updated on .
Good evening John,

I got it. She is  finding her way around the forum at the moment

peggles

michelle moore michelle moore

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Oh my goodness Dr Yeoman

I HONESTLY didn't mean to bother YOU any further! I bet you're fed up of me already and its only been a day! (I now have a healthy glow!)

SORRY.

M.

Send from Huawei KIW-L21

[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Need-beta-readers-or-reviewers-for-your-story-or-novel-tp898p5973.html
To unsubscribe from Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?, click here.
NAML
michelle moore michelle moore

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Oh my gosh!

Thank you very much indeed!

now I'll attempt to send you the synopsis. If you like the premise please let me know?

Fabulous! :)

M.
michelle moore michelle moore

Re: Need 'beta readers' or reviewers for your story or novel?

Hi Peggles,

(I'm terribly, terribly sorry if this has come to you instead Dr Yeoman, as I've clicked reply on Peggles's email!) Peggles, if you're still interested in my synopsis and novel, please would you kindly send me your email address and I will send you the word documents? I would really appreciate any feedback. :)

M.