People Power

Margaret was sick of reading about big corporations finding ways to avoid paying UK tax. She wondered what would happen if ordinary folk did the same.
Would the government flounder?
Would MPs have to cut their inflated salaries?
How about working families would they suddenly be financially better off than those on benefits?

She posted a tweet encouraging others to join in a month-long tax avoidance.
Within a few days, she had 14 million followers, all pledging to buy, no fuel, no cigarettes, do no online shopping, empty their bank accounts, therefore paying no tax on their savings. Only bartering for goods they needed for everyday life, managing when they could with the food they had in their fridges and freezers. Refusing any overtime thereby paying less tax. Buying nothing that had a tax payment applied.

Almost overnight trillions of pounds went unpaid in taxes. The motorways were almost empty as people either walked or cycled to work.

The companies concerned lost thousands in sales, and their shares slumped. The government soon floundered and had to call an emergency election. Promising to make all the offshore companies trading in the UK pay their proper share tax or be banned from selling any goods in Great Britain.
stillmind stillmind

Re: People Power

Oh, peggles

If only........

Phill.H
Australia
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)

Re: People Power

Yes wouldn't that be something

peggles
e.thoday e.thoday

Re: People Power

What a wonderfully ironic story, Peggles! Thank you too for your kind remarks about "SAM"

Re: People Power

Hello,
glad you liked it.

Peggles
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: People Power

Alas this is only fiction
Alison Rome Alison Rome

Re: People Power

Viva la revolution, Peggles. Superb, quick-witted and wonderfully constructed story.

Best wishes
Alison

Re: People Power

Thank you Alison

Glad you liked it

Peggles
e.thoday e.thoday

Re: People Power

Dear Peggles, thank you for the nice things u said about A Cat Called Sam. I like your People Power. I think I said so before. Haven't visited Penpal lately. Nearly forgot my password and thought I was locked out forever! Elizabeth T.

Re: People Power

Hello Elizebeth

Yes you have but never mind..
Keep hold of that password don't want you locked out.

Peggles