Re: Many editors want to see the entire work to know the work that will be in...

Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Many editors want to see the entire work to know the work that will be in...

That is a bit harsh and potentially discouraging for aspiring writers which is not to be welcomed. One does not have to offer critique or better still offer a simple one, e.g. ' Good first shot ***name*** but you need to go over this and adjust the point of view (POV). Also do sort out your punctuation please and resubmit'

Critiques are too often too much and try to impose the critics style on the one receiving the criticism which again is unwelcome.

Good luck with it

***name***

On reflection what do you think?

In a message dated 17/07/2016 14:18:57 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Those are good questions, Elizabeth. And as Pat said, every bit as good for us as we edit, rewrite, and polish.

I don't want to sound like a grump (I'm not, really, at least not usually), but I think sometimes writers ask for a critique before they've done any critiquing themselves on the work, if you know what I mean. I don't think a writer should put a rough draft out and simply ask for a critique. But if the writer has a specific question in mind, such as, "Do you care about this character?" or "Does the action make sense?" or whatever they're concerned about, making it clear that it's a very rough draft and they're just asking for input on whether to continue in the same vein, that's different.

But it seems to me that to put a first or otherwise very rough draft out for general, overall critiquing without some parameters  is premature.

To unsubscribe from Many editors want to see the entire work to know the work that will be involved, click here.
NAML

Re: Many editors want to see the entire work to know the work that will be in...

I appreciate your input, Pat, but I don't see how it's 'harsh' to suggest that submitting as I mentioned is simply 'premature', which is the word I used. I definitely don't want to discourage anyone. I'm sorry if I have.

If we know someone is a new writer, or has only recently begun to put his or her work out there, then of course, we could be extra careful in our comments. And I think John has given us a template of sorts as to how to present our feedback to anyone here on the first page of this forum. I'm not talking about being harsh or rough on anybody.

I suspect different people expect or want different things when they submit their work. Some ask about their main concerns, which is helpful, but not necessary, in my opinion, unless it's the sort of situation I already mentioned in my previous post. What sort of critique do you consider an attempt to impose the critiquer's style? Could you give an example? (Hypothetical is fine.)

I'd hate to discourage anyone from honestly commenting on my own work for fear of discouraging or offending me. I appreciate all the feedback I can get, from as many different angles as possible. Once a writer gets that input on a piece, of course, it's up to the writer to see what to do with it.

Re: Many editors want to see the entire work to know the work that will be in...

P.S. It's kind of confusing to have this post begun in one place, and continued in another. There are more comments in the other thread with the same title. I wonder if we could post this little conversation there? That way, more people would probably chime in. I could post my part over there, but without yours it wouldn't make much sense. What do you think, Pat?