Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Hi again

It would be good to mention there is much sadness amongst the membership and a desire, if possible, to keep the forum going in an as yet undetermined format. Maybe a meeting would be good if that can be arranged with Celia and then we could float her wishes to the members and ask for volunteers to form a steering committee to keep the thing going maybe renamed to include John's name and in a format we can handle.

I do not know the situation with the Domain etc. but I guess time is not unlimited to keep it on line.

I have changed the subject line to attract attention

Paul M

In a message dated 21/07/2016 12:53:41 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Hello Pat,

Yes I would be willing to approach her, but I am not sure how I should word the request.
 When the right time will be ?. They may have already cancelled everything and we would need to start from scratch. Also should I wait a while to give the family time to mourn ?.
Or would such a question give them a needed boost.?

Should we first  find out how many and who would be willing  and able to take over such an enormous task and do him justice.?

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/RIP-JOHN-YEOMAN-tp6271p6298.html
To unsubscribe from RIP JOHN YEOMAN, click here.
NAML
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

I know how to handle website, domain, paypal, email responded lists etc. and would be happy to deal with those aspects if there is enough desire to keep SPP in operation.
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

I would love to have the site on-going and Alex you are brilliant and generous to offer your talents.

Maybe the family will get comfort to know we want John's site to continue, for we have become Story Pen Pals, just what he dreamed.

Let his dream continue.

Also, everyone, is there anything we can do for the family as a group??  Or is that too complicated?

Rosanna

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Good morning Pat,

I have with some trepidation approached Cellia with a suggestion some of the members take over the running of penpal.

I didn't want to leave it too long in case once all had been cancelled it would be impossible to re-open.

I told her if she wanted just to close down we would of course respect her wishes .

I have no idea if she will reply or even if the timing is right but for now we can now  try to drum up some support and wait for a response.

Peggles

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Similarly, something that greatly concerns me is how to avoid losing John's valuable teachings, which as I understand it, are mainly in three virtual places:

1. The wonderful classes from Writers Village Academy;
2. The fantastic posts (and even his and others' comments) from his site, the Wicked Writing Blog;
3. The email classes sent out in his SPP program.

If his family wanted to make these into a book, I for sure would buy it. But, as someone said, for most people it would be difficult, it seems to me, to deal with such things and decisions when you're grieving your father, your husband. So I don't know what the answer is. But it's heartening that some here are concerned about keeping things going.

We've lost a caring, generous, wise mentor and teacher, and it is sad. I do hope we don't lose his teachings too.

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Hello  Bea,

The writers academy course already paid for are on automatic postings, and  are being sent out.

Additional course  requests will not be accepted .

Posts on the wicked writing blog are still accessible at this time and past posts can be copied.

All his other recent  blogs on the web can still be found

Any other penpal items unless you have copied or saved them  I'm afraid  are lost. There are no updates planed.

Peggles

Sent from my iPad

On 22 Jul 2016, at 14:10, Bea [via Story PenPal] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Similarly, something that greatly concerns me is how to avoid losing John's valuable teachings, which as I understand it, are mainly in three virtual places:

1. The wonderful classes from Writers Village Academy;
2. The fantastic posts (and even his and others' comments) from his site, the Wicked Writing Blog;
3. The email classes sent out in his SPP program.

If his family wanted to make these into a book, I for sure would buy it. But, as someone said, for most people it would be difficult, it seems to me, to deal with such things and decisions when you're grieving your father, your husband. So I don't know what the answer is. But it's heartening that some here are concerned about keeping things going.

We've lost a caring, generous, wise mentor and teacher, and it is sad. I do hope we don't lose his teachings too.

To unsubscribe from Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage), click here.
NAML

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Right, Peggles; I have all the WVA classes. But I'm thinking more along the lines of other people being able to access them in the future. Obviously, it would have to be in a different form. That's why I thought of a book, if his family wanted to do it. But also, it doesn't seem like the right time to burden them with that idea.

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

That would be a fine thing to do. Such informative,useful information I am sure it would sell well. Maybe when they have time to settle they may well wish to preserve that fountain of knowledge .

We can only wait and see.

Peggles

Sent from my iPad

NAML
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Let the family grieve and we can address this issue again soon.

We can still write on this forum, for now, anyway.

I will go back to my e-mails from John and save the info into Open Office.

That is all I can think of.  Maybe we are being selfish right now just centering in on ourselves.

I guess that is part of our own grieving...we have lost our confidante and teacher.

Rosanna
Alison Rome Alison Rome

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Hello Peggles,

I wasn't sure which part of the thread of this to reply to, but I just wanted to let everyone out there know that like all of you I would miss this wonderful site terribly if it should shut down.

I am hopeless as far as domains and websites go, and breathe a sigh of relief and eternal thanks that Alex has so kindly offered to help. Of course, this is all dependent on John's family agreeing.

It's a sad time but an awesome testament of all John's work, his personality and character that we seek to continue what he started.

Best wishes to all
Alison Rome

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Good morning Pat,

I have been thinking about how we can hold on to the numbers of registered members we have at present.
Those who have taken advantage of the excellent offer of four weeks free trail, won't  be able to join as full members. Also others may be also locked out once their current months subcriptions expire.
We have already lost Michelle a great reviewer and possible more will follow. How many more will go elsewhere.
 I don't know how to save the members list any ideas?

I have been here since the first day as a moderator and have hit a target of 1000 posts.Personally I shall be lost if this site closes .Members  have been a treasure trove of advice and friendship.

peggles

Peggles

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Peggles, did Michelle write to you that she's quitting the forum? I'm asking because I haven't seen anything to that effect. Thank you for all you're doing!

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Good evening Bea,

No Michelle  got lock out. At first she thought she had upset someone but it turned out her subscription request was refused due to the PayPal account being closed.

I am trying hard to keep the forum active and hoping it can be saved.

Peggles

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Do you think it would be okay, since at the moment it's not possible for her to actually pay for a subscription, though she would if she could, for her to connect with you via email and you post for her? Oh, but then how would she get on the site to comment, read others' comments, etc. That's too bad.
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

I think everyone will be locked out eventually. If John's family closes everything up, maybe someone could start their own site or blog which we all can add to.

Maybe this is where Alex comes in.

Wish Story Pen Pal could last forever.
Alex Rosel (WV) Alex Rosel (WV)

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

The SPP domain is due to expire in January 2017.
The writers' Village domain is okay until 2020.

If John Yeoman's family are in agreement, I'd be quite happy to take over these domains with a transfer. I can handle all the technicalities and would be quite happy to take a look at doing this on a voluntary basis.

There are some ongoing costs for domains, email handler, and hosting, but if we retain a good number of the members already here, I envisage the subscription rate would be a fraction of the current $7.

I even have a idea how we can keep the monthly flash fiction contest going with a cash prize.

Of course, we will miss John's knowledge and humour, but it would be nice to keep the community going.

I'm not in contact with John's family and so it will need someone like peggles to approach them at an appropriate time.

If anyone wants to discuss my idea privately, feel free to private message me via SPP.

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Alex, your a star,

I am waiting for John's  daughter to come back to me on our proposals in this matter.

They were maybe going to discuss things over the week end it all depends on how Celia feels about it.

As soon as I have any information I will post again.

Peggles
Len Diamond Len Diamond

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

A shock in any case, but to hear about a "slow kind" of illness on July 9 and now read about his dying apparently only a few days later... hard to deal with. Worse, I had sent him an encouraging message, citing some experience of my own, which I now think must have arrived after his death. I can only imagine what that would have been for his family, and  my apologies to them.

I had been out of touch for while, pursuing other types of writing work, although I was still receiving posts. I, too, would like to see the group continue and would like to participate if it does. I am of no use digitally/domain-wise, but I see that's covered, so anything else -- I'd like to be counted in.
Len Diamond
RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Len,

Yes, it was quite shocking. Don't beat yourself up over your e-mail to John. You were doing a kind act. I don't think the family would be upset.  I think they would understand.

Our SPP is probably the last thing they want to think about right now.  All will fall into place the way it is meant to be, in its own time.

Rosanna

RosannaMarie RosannaMarie

Re: RIP JOHN YEOMAN (members please read this email trail and engage)

Alex and Peggles....you are both wonderful.

All will go the way its meant to be.

Rosanna