Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

abit2kish abit2kish

Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Shaking the dirt off my hair, the sucking-pop sound still ringing in my ears, I'm determined not to re-insert my head back into the hole from which it has been removed... again.

Tired of the constant haranguing of the tireless voice in my head. She's just so chatty about this plot and that character.

Enough already!

Even though there's the other voice that slinks around in there.  With her mocking, acrid tones, she reminds me nearly as often of my inadequacies and lack of talent or worthy ideas. It's a constant battle dragging me back and forth!

Chatty has finally driven me so to the point of distraction that I'm prepared to defy Slinky and make an utter and complete fool of myself... and write. Not just write again, but actually allow other human beings to read what I write.

That's right, I've gone completely over the edge! I'm either going to fly or fall headlong over the cliff! Don't try to stop me!
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

I can empathise and echo those feelings myself. Writing is a blessed curse to me and everyone else seems to do it better than me. Ok I'm allowed to feel sorry for myself. Why? Because I am.

PL
abit2kish abit2kish

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Thanks Pat for the commiseration and the reply. It's amazing how comforting it is to have human contact and empathy while I roll around on the floor over here grunting and groaning with my particularly frustrating demon of the month. Well actually, I'm not sure it's a demon, could be a muse, or possibly a leprechaun.

Seems like there was someone recorded in the Bible who wrestled with an angel. I know I knew the story when I was a kid but now I can't remember what is was that was their issue. Do you think the guy might have been a struggling writer or artist trying to persuade the angel to help him? I can see that...

It seems I'm a world-class procrastinator. Who knew I had it in me to be world-class anything?

Fear is a miserable thing. Isn't it? I crawl right up to the edge of the cliff, then crab-crawl backward on my belly. I have these fantasies several times a day, if not dozens, of sitting down and just pouring out all these stories that gather in my head like clouds. They shift, form and reform; then my gut clenches and I order another 2 or 3 books from Amazon to read.

I'm pretty sure the reason behind this behavior is so that I have an excuse not to try to write my own. I can't try to write my own until I've finished reading and studying how everyone else is doing it! How can I begin before I've done adequate research? I have to understand how they're getting their thoughts and stories onto a page.

I wonder if I'm going to just float through the rest of my life saying these same sad things and die before ever finishing one novel. How pathetic!

I wish you the best of luck. I'd love to get to read one of your books one day and really, thanks again for replying. Well, I've got to go now, I just finished my last audiobook and there's 3 more waiting in my Amazon wish list I need to download.
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Hello.........(seem to have lost your name)

Well if you can compose an email with such intensity as that; with colour and emotion to the full, a story will be a walk in the park. Why not lower your bar of expectation and write say 2-3000 words. Post it on the forum  and it will receive a fair review.

You could forget reading or audio books for a while and bash the PC to bits. Set yourself a day and time to do it and bingo. Why not use some of your thoughts as a basis for a story of a writer battling block who is almost suicidal and something happens and he/she is away.

It could be cathartic

Yours

PL

In a message dated 14/07/2016 03:49:51 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
[...]

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Yep-Back-in-the-Saddle-So-I-Guess-I-Should-Learn-to-Ride-tp5825p6210.html
To unsubscribe from Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride., click here.
NAML
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Fwd: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

AND

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. Ernest Hemingway

NAML

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

abit, I also have a terrible battle with procrastinating. Why don't I just do it!?

If I remember correctly, Jacob wrestled with an angel, saying he wouldn't let the angel go until the angel arranged (or gave?) him a blessing. Again, IIRC, he got his blessing, but I think maybe he was slightly lame after that. And I don't remember what the blessing was that he wanted, but you've made me want to look it up and reread it.

I'll echo Pat's suggestion of trying with fewer words, and go even lower with the word count. Why not write some flash fiction pieces? You could enter them in the contest! I've found flash fiction to be a fun challenge, and when I sit down to write and then rewrite, and rewrite, and rewrite, I really enjoy it.
stillmind stillmind

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Ha,ha, what a great and very funny intro!

I can hardly wait to read your work. I look forward to hearing from your mad muses!
Best Wishes
Phill
Best Wishes from
Phill.H
Dairn Undah (New South Wales Australia)
abit2kish abit2kish

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Hi Phill, I appreciate your optimism.

I'm still sitting on top of 'Slinky' at this point and have resisted downloading the Amazon book I've been flirting with for the last couple of days. So, I guess you could say 'so far so good.' Now all I have to do is 'write somethig down already!'
Pat Linum Pat Linum

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Afternoon

Herewith an opening line that you could modify and use to kick off a short story and the sickly ending joke could involve the word 'armless.

' I must write to........ after what she did to save me. I say write but I mean,of course, email. Right arm gone and writing left handed is impossible for me.

Actually perhaps this should be deleted.

P L

In a message dated 16/07/2016 03:51:00 GMT Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
Hi Phill, I appreciate your optimism.

I'm still sitting on top of 'Slinky' at this point and have resisted downloading the Amazon book I've been flirting with for the last couple of days. So, I guess you could say 'so far so good.' Now all I have to do is 'write somethig down already!'

http://story-penpal.1118678.n5.nabble.com/Yep-Back-in-the-Saddle-So-I-Guess-I-Should-Learn-to-Ride-tp5825p6242.html
To unsubscribe from Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride., click here.
NAML
abit2kish abit2kish

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Ha!   Nice suggestions Pat. Definitely something to think about.

I do think using the deadline of getting something together to enter into the contest is a good incentive. And, amazingly enough, the slight pressure is sort of working as an impetus.

Re: Yep, Back in the Saddle, So I Guess I Should Learn to Ride.

Hello I just saw this post.
It made me smile I think we are all guilty of being chatty.
After all how could we write so many words without having the gift of the gab.

So glad your in the saddle once more.

Peggles